What should you do if your small craft capssizes?
If you are in rapid water, these are the guidelines.
- Float to the upstream side.
- Do NOT attempt to walk or stand in fast-moving water.
- Lie on your back, with your arms and feet extended.
- If the water is very cold, you should take all precautions to prevent hypothermia.
What should you do if your small open boat capsizes quizlet?
What should you do if you boat sinks, is swamped, or falls out of it? You can re-board your boat if it is still afloat.
What should you do if your boat capsizes but remains afloat?
Reach out, throw, row or go if necessary. To ensure that your boat stays afloat, you can reboard it or climb on top of it to warm up. You will lose more heat if you tread water, so it is a good idea to use the boat as support.
What is the first thing you should do if the boat you’re operating capsizes?
What to do if a passenger falls overboard
- Step 1: Slow down immediately and stop the boat.
- Step 2: Throw something buoyant to the person who is overboard, such as a lifejacket or a lifebuoy.
- Step 3: Designate someone to your boat in order to keep the person overboard in sight at all time.
What if a boat capsizes 100 meters from shore?
Use the “Reach Throw Row or Go” rescue method if necessary. To ensure that your pleasure craft is not submerged, you can reboard it or climb on to it. You will lose more heat if you tread water, so it is a good idea to use the pleasure boat as a support.
How should a person be pulled back into a boat?
Turn your boat around, and slowly pull alongside the victim. Approach the victim either from the downwind or the current. Stop the engine. Keep the victim in place by lifting him up to the stern.
What do you do if you fall off a boat?
What to do if you fall off a boat
- Keep calm. This can cause you to waste energy.
- Leave clothes on: The buoyancy of your clothes could be increased by trapping air in them.
- Keep warm: Keep your body heat up if the water is too cold.
When rescuing someone from the water you should approach the victim slowly in?
Recovering a Person Overboard
- Throw the buoyant heaving rope so it lands behind your victim.
- Slowly pull the line in the direction of the victim so that they can grab it.
- Pull the victim to the side and help them get back in the boat.
What should you do immediately if a boat catches fire?
If there is a fire on your boat
- If you are already underway, stop the boat.
- Position the boat so the fire is facing downwind.
- If the fire is located in an engine room, turn off the fuel supply.
- Place the fire extinguisher near the flames’ base, and move back and forth.
- Never use water to light a gasoline, oil or grease fire.
What can a vessel operator use to make sure he or she has everything needed for a safe trip?
- Check the hull for cracks and other damage.
- Make sure that the throttle and steering controls work properly.
- Make sure that the electrical system is functioning properly and all lights are on.
- Check for fuel leaks from your tank, fuel lines and carburetor.
- Check the cooling and propulsion systems.
What can a vessel operator use to make sure?
A pre-departure inspection is another way to ensure a safe and enjoyable time operating your boat. You should check the weather forecast for your area and the time period you will be boating. Check that the throttle and steering controls work properly. Verify that all lights work properly.
How should you approach a dock when the wind or current is pushing you toward the dock?
Docking with Wind or Current Towards the Dock
- Approach slow, parallel to dock.
- Let wind and current take your boat to the dock. If you have to adjust your position, shift into gear quickly.
- Secure the bow and stern lines.
What would cause a boat engine to explode?
Fuel vapor buildup is a common cause of explosions or fires in boats that have inboard gasoline engines. Leaked fuel fumes and fuel can build up in an engine compartment. This mixture with freshwater or saltwater can cause a disaster that can lead to a boat having its engine exploded.
How much Stabil do I need for 5 gallons of gas?
For STA-BIL(r) Storage, use one ounce (30mL) to 2 1/2 gallons (9.5L) of gasoline, gas/oil mixtures, or ethanol blends. For STA-BIL 360deg Protection, for storage and everyday ethanol treatment use one ounce (30mL) to 5 gallons (19 L) of gasoline, gas/oil mixtures, or ethanol blends.
How long does fuel stabilizer last in fuel?