What do I do if I am socially awkward?
- Dive deep. Spending a little time learning more about social awkwardness might help you feel more accepting of this part of yourself.
- Remember that awkward situations happen to everyone.
- Face awkwardness head-on.
- Practice interacting with others.
- Try to stay present.
What does it mean if I’m socially awkward? Socially inept people don’t know how to comfortably socialize, engage in conversation, and calmly interact with others. They often misread social cues or feel physically anxious. They may have an intense fear of talking to new people and being humiliated in social settings.
Is it OK to be socially awkward? Awkward people see things a little different.
And seeing things differently can provide an advantage in today’s competitive world. Many people appreciate spending time with someone who is a little different. Awkward people can offer a slightly different perspective on life, which many people find refreshing.
What are signs of being socially awkward?
- Not being able to understand subtle aspects of social situations or how to behave.
- Feeling like you have become oversensitive or hypervigilant.
- Overreacting to things that do not seem to bother others.
- Doing things that seem inappropriate (e.g., oversharing during a conversation)