What are the two main types of stratification systems you can use?
There are two basic types of stratification systems in existence today: class systems and caste systems. Systems of stratification can be closed or open. Individuals are allowed to move between ranks.
How is a class system different from a caste system?
Classes depend mainly on economic differences between groupings of individuals–inequalities in possession and control of material resources–whereas in caste system non-economic factors such as influence of religion [theory of karma, rebirth and ritual (purity-pollution)] are most important.
What is the key distinction between a caste system and a class system quizlet?
Class systems allow for fluid movement and are large-scale, whereas caste systems where one’s social status is fixed for life are rigid.
What is the characteristics of caste system?
Caste refers to a type of social stratification that is characterised by endogamy or hereditary transmission. It often includes an occupation, a ritual status in a hierarchy and customary social interaction.
What is an example of caste system?
The Indian caste system is the most prominent ethnographic example for caste. It is a legacy of ancient India and has been transformed by many ruling elites, including the British Raj and the Mughal Empire, in modern, medieval and early-modern India. It is the foundation of Indian affirmative action programs.
What are the eight pillars of caste?
The eight pillars that make up the American caste system
- Divine will and the laws of nature.
- Endogamy and control of marriage and mating.
- Purity vs. pollution.
- Occupational hierarchy.
- Dehumanization and stigma.
- Terror of enforcement, cruelty as means of control.
- Inherent superiority vs inherent inferiority.
Which is the biggest caste?
Here six of the most important:
- Brahmins. Brahmins are the highest caste and have been traditionally priests or teachers. They make up a small percentage of India’s population.
- Kshatriyas. Kshatriyas, which means “protector[s] the gentle people,” were historically the military class.