How do you write a lead in sports writing? How Do You Write a Good Sports Lead? A lead is the introductory section of a news story, intended to hook the reader into reading the full story. To write a good sports lead, first pick which of the 5 types of sports stories you would like to write. The type of story you choose will determine the lead you write.
How do you write sports writing?
- Use headings, short sections and short sentences to make your writing easy to digest.
- Use active voice whenever possible.
- Edit each sentence to get rid of excess words.
- Use precise, specific language.
- Get rid of jargon.
- Use bullet points to highlight information.
- Get rid of sports clichés.
How do I start writing for sports?
- WRITE, WRITE, WRITE. (And I’m not talking about Twitter.)
- TAKE WHATEVER REPORTING GIG YOU CAN LAND. Stop trying to jump directly into professional sports.
- FIND YOURSELF A GREAT EDITOR.
- READ REALLY GOOD WRITERS.
- WRITE SHORTER.
- TELL A STORY.
- NETWORK AND MARKET YOURSELF.
WHAT IS THE KEY PLAY LEAD? The Key Play Lead- It starts with the most exciting parts of the game where a certain team scores more points. Examples: 1.